Wednesday, May 22, 2013

CCR vs Joe Cocker



To be honest I thought I knew all of CCR's library, apparently not. Back in the day I used to pride myself on knowing alot of bands and their music. One point it was almost my job. Lately it seems I've come across nuggets from artists I thought I knew, makes me feel like a punk when that happens.
Anyways, not really sure how I found Joe Cocker's cover version of Creedence Clear Water Revival's "Long as I can see the light." I believe I was piddling through youtube, maybe looking for something to do with "light" or light at the end of the tunnel kind of thing, searching for the light, IDK?
I like Joe Cocker, I have one of those 20th century artists greatest hits CDs I purchased back in the day. Probably for just a couple songs too. I of course have never seen Joe Cocker live in concert but have seen music videos of his, live tapings that sort of thing. You wouldn't know it by looking at him but he puts alot of energy and emotion into his music. It's evident here with "Light". At one point in the song if you listen closely you can hear him choke up kind of. Maybe thats just the way he sings or how his voice sounds when doing ballads? But I bet watching/listening to him record this record must have been an experience for those involved.
I like the line "...Guess I've got that old travelin' bone,
'cause this feelin' won't leave me alone.
But I won't, won't be losin' my way, no, no
'Long as I can see the light..."


As much as I love CCR I like JC's version of this song better.




CCR's original

No comments:

Post a Comment